Monday, July 24, 2017

Week 38 - Living the Vendelsö life

This week has been rather interesting so here goes.

Monday we found out while we were emailing that we would as a matter of fact not be leaving on Wednesday but rather on Tuesday, so we had just a little bit less time to figure out our few last minute details before we shipped out. The Linköping Elders came and we played some ping pong at the church. They left and we just continued working on our transition report and getting everything figured out for the Elders coming in.  We then went home for the night and finished packing up all of our stuff.

Tuesday We finished our report and printed it, we then cleaned the church and met with a couple people before we left. We then went home, made sure we had everything, and then left for the train station. I took a train to Stockholm where the Vendelsö Elders came and picked me up. Elder Anthon will be staying here in Vendelsö with me and then Elder Barker would be leaving for Skellefteå the next morning.  We got all my stuff and then brought it down to Vendelsö.

Wednesday we dropped Elder Barker off at the bus stop super early in the morning and then came home and finished getting ready for the day. Vendelsö is definitely a little different from what I am used to. Helsingborg and Norrköping were big enough cities that they had a main street that kind of makes up the center of town and so we could just go there to find people to talk to.  Here in Vendelsö it's all suburbs and we have a very small area. So we walk around but we don't see quite as many people, we also tend to knock a lot more doors here so it's going to be a bit of an adventure this transfer, I haven't done as much knocking doors so far in my mission but that is about to change.

Thursday we had district meeting which is fun. The missionaries in Visby, which is a city on an island off the coast of Sweden, are part of our district so we got to Skype them so they could be part of our district meeting. Elder Anthon and I are the only companionship in the district right now that aren't training right now besides the Senior missionary couple that also lives in Visby. It's kind of an interesting thought.  The meeting went super well though as we set goals and plans for the transfer. Never underestimate the power of goal setting, sometimes it's boring but it really does help you get things done.

Friday we did some planning for the week and we knocked some doors.

Saturday we did some tracting and then we had a really good lesson with one of our investigators. It went super well as we explained the Restoration and the Book of Mormon to him. He had some questions about how some things in the Bible get him kind of confused and we were able to show him how the Book of Mormon helps clarify some of those things from the Bible. It was awesome!

Sunday we had church which was great. The ward is a little bit bigger than some of the ones I'm used to but it's pretty nice. We also had a really good lesson on the Plan of Salvation with someone and we had nice member meal in the evening as well.

This week I am really grateful for the scriptures. I had the opportunity to finish reading through the Book of Mormon this week and I have loved it. There is a special feeling that comes from reading it. I love being able to talk to people about it and explain some of the simple truths that it holds in its pages.  I'm really grateful for my time in seminary. Every school day during high school I got up early to learn about the scriptures.  Those things that I learned have really helped me in my mission and this week I have been able to use some of the scripture mastery verses that I had memorized so that I could find scriptures to explain ideas to people clearly with the use of the scriptures themselves.  I know the Book of Mormon is true and that it really does bless our lives as we read it and understand the principles it teaches.

I hope you all have a wonderful week!

--Elder Ashford

Pictures this week are of:

a little summer cottage we walked by


 the next is of a sign that clearly is instructing to be aware of such risks as monkey bars, 
break dancing, yoga, walking with small children, as well as cats and chickens


 then there was this thermometer that we ran into while knocking doors, no I cannot read everything it says because it is actually in Norwegian but I can make out some of it


 then there is the maze which Sweden occasionally uses instead of speed bumps, 
however not everyone actually slows down while weaving through


finally there is Elder Anthon and I


No comments:

Post a Comment